Greg Olson, Sc.D.
Chief Science Officer
Sc.D. Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1974
M.S. Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1970
B.S. Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1970
Current Role at QuesTek
Gregory B. Olson, Sc.D. is a co-founder of QuesTek Innovations LLC and an internationally-recognized leader and pioneer in the field of computational materials design. As QuesTek’s Chief Science Officer with over forty years of consulting experience in the areas of materials science and engineering, he oversees QuesTek’s application of the systematic, science-based approach, which he developed, for all alloy modeling and design projects, and the vision to expanding ICME to new markets. In 2012, Dr. Olson was inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, cited as the “father of materials design” for pioneering the field of computational design of materials as dynamic multiscale systems.
Background and Specialization
Dr. Olson has been a Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Northwestern University since 1988, and was named the first Wilson-Cook Professor of Engineering Design for the McCormick School of Engineering in September 1999. He is the Walter P. Murphy Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, a member of the University’s Materials Research Center (MRC), a co-Director of the University’s Materials Technology Laboratory, and the Director of the MRC’s Steel Research Group (SRG), a multi-institutional, interdisciplinary, industry-supported research program that focuses on applying scientific principles to design new classes of high performance ultra-high strength steels.
Honors, Awards and Patents
He is the recipient of numerous awards, including:
- TMS Morris Cohen Award, 2013
- Foreign Member, Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences, 2013
- Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2012
- ASM Gold Medal, 2011
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, 2010
- Golick Lecturer, Missouri University of Science & Technology, 2009
- Kelly Lecture, University of Cambridge, 2008
He is active in numerous industry, technical and professional associations, including:
- ASM International, including Chairman of ASM’s Phase Transformation Committee (1987–1990)
- The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS)
- The American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers (AIME)
- Materials Research Society (MRS)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Chairman, Organizing Committee, International Conference on Martensitic Transformations 2008 (ICOMAT-08).
Publications and Presentations
He is the author of two books, a contributor to more than 10 books, and the author of more than 200 publications which have appeared in leading industry journals and periodicals.