Ferrium® S53® steel (AMS 5922, MMPDS) is a double vacuum melted (VIM/VAR) ultra-high strength and corrosion resistant steel. It is used in structural aerospace applications, and in applications where other high-strengths steels, such as 300M and 4340, are typically used but require improved corrosion resistance.
Key benefits include:
- Superior corrosion resistance for eliminating toxic cadmium plating
- High strength and toughness for lightweighting or increased torque / power density
- Enhanced thermal stability for high temperature applications
- High hardenability for robust thermal processing
New applications for S53 are frequently discovered by designers. Historically, such applications typically include:
- Flight critical aerospace components, such as landing gear
- Flight critical components on orbital class rocket programs
- Rotorcraft power transmission components, such as rotorshafts
- Structural components for the energy industry
We are committed to ensuring successful implementation of our advanced alloys. As inventors and developers of this alloy, we offer technical assistance to prospective users, designers and processing facilities. Feel free to reach out to us to set up free consultation or request detailed technical information.