Ferrium C64 (AMS 6509) is an alternative to high performance gear steels such as Ferrium C61, Alloy 53 and 9310. Double vacuum melted (VIM/VAR), it offers ultra-high strength and high fracture toughness, combined with excellent fatigue and heat resistance. This uniquely positions C64 steel for application in critical aerospace applications such as rotorcraft transmissions, as well as other aerospace, energy, and racing/off-road/mission-critical vehicles where these properties are of benefit.
Key benefits include:
- High strength and toughness for weight reduction or increased torque / power density
- Carburizable for high surface hardenability, providing improved wear and bending fatigue
- High hardenability for robust thermal processing
- Extended temperature service and ability to survive emergency temperature spikes
See below for example applications of Ferrium C64:
- Next generation helicopter transmission gears (Bell and Sikorsky – US Army FARDS program)
- Race car transmissions gears, driveshafts, and actuators
- Oil & gas gears and power transmission components to withstand high load and impact
- Rapid prototyping of advanced gears using additive manufacturing
We are committed to ensuring successful implementation of our advanced alloys. As inventors and developers of this alloy, we offer technical assistance to prospective users, designers and processing facilities. Feel free to reach out to us to set up free consultation or request detailed technical information.