Ferrium® C61™ steel (AMS 6517) is an alternative to high performance gear steels such as Ferrium C64, Alloy 53 and 9310. Double vacuum melted (VIM/VAR), it offers ultra-high strength and high fracture toughness, combined with excellent fatigue and heat resistance. This uniquely positions C61 steel for application in critical aerospace applications such as next-generation helicopter rotorshafts, as well as performance-driven systems such as Formula 1 racing transmissions.
Key benefits include:
- High strength and toughness for weight reduction or increased torque / power density
- Carburizable for high surface hardenability, providing improved wear and bending fatigue
- High hardenability for robust thermal processing
- Extended temperature service and ability to survive emergency temperature spikes
New applications for C61 are frequently discovered by designers. Historically, such applications typically include:
- Forward and aft rotorshafts on Boeing CH-47 Chinook helicopter Block II upgrade
- Formula 1 transmission gears
- Aerospace powder transmission shafts
- Race car ring and pinion sets for off-road racing
We are committed to ensuring successful implementation of our advanced alloys. As inventors and developers of this alloy, we offer technical assistance to prospective users, designers and processing facilities. Feel free to reach out to us to set up free consultation or request detailed technical information.