Iron-based Ferrium® Steels
QuesTek has combined Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (ICME) and our own Materials by Design® technology to design and develop new superior high performance steels and iron-based alloys for applications in aerospace and defense, automotive, energy and other markets.
We have a long history of designing and developing iron-based alloys, built in part from our involvement in the Steel Research Group and the 28-year leadership of Professor Greg Olson as our Chief Science Officer serving as its Director.
Our flagship licensed materials include four ultra-high performance, double vacuum melted (VIM/VAR) steels that are commercially available from Carpenter Technology. These four steels have all been awarded AMS procurement specifications, and are being evaluated and used in a wide range of demanding and safety critical applications in aerospace, oil and gas, performance racing and other industries.
Applications include cadmium-free landing gear, arrestment hooks, case running shafts, drilling tools, rockets, helicopter rotor shafts and transmission gears and many others:
- Ferrium C61™ (AMS 6517) - High strength, high toughness, carburizable steel. Upgrade from 9310, Pyrowear 53, and EN36 series.
- Ferrium C64™ (AMS 6509) - High strength, high toughness, high hardness, carburizable steel. Upgrade from 9310, Pyrowear 53, and EN36 series.
- Ferrium M54™ (AMS 6516) - Ultra high strength, high toughness, SCC resistant steel. Drop in replacement for AerMet 100 or upgrade from 300M, 4330, 4340, Maraging steels, etc.
- Ferrium S53® (AMS 5922) - Ultra high strength, high corrosion resistant upgrade from 4340 or 300M.
Yet-to-be Licensed Iron-based Ferrium Alloys
We’re also designing and developing other iron-based alloys that have not yet been licensed:
- Ferrium PH48S™ - High strength, corrosion-resistant, castable stainless steel.
- Ferrium C69™ - High strength, high wear resistance, carburized gear and bearing steel.
- Ferrium N63™ - High strength, surface hardenable (via nitriding) stainless steel as upgrade from Pyrowear 675 for gears, bearings, etc.
- Steel Still King
An article providing background on QuesTek and our new class of high performance gear steels, Ferrium® C61™ and C64™- SAE International, Off-Highway Engineering, March 2009